Where to find me

6.21.2010

Cake Bites Cont......

Okay I forgot to take a picture of the cake when I was crumbing it and before I made the balls. I am kinda bad at this for blog land people. I will try harder from now on. So I'll just go ahead and just describe what I did....

    The next step is to crumb your cake. I had just cleaned the kitchen and put all the dishes away from dinner so I used two forks to just start making crumbs of the cake, you want to make it into very fine crumbs with no lumps. I did this in sections. You can just use your hands to do this if it seems easier to you.
    Now we need frosting. These cake bites can be made with canned frosting or homemade. I made cream cheese frosting from scratch.  Here's the recipe I used:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz cream cheese
Cream butter and cream cheese with mixer on low speed. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the confectioners sugar and mix on low speed, about 30 seconds. Drizzle in the extract. Mix for another 30 seconds, or until smooth.
I have to say I just added the ingredients without measuring (I'm that kind of cook) so these are not super accurate measurements, I'm one of those taste as you go bakers.

    Add your frosting to your cake crumbs (in a large bowl).
Add the frosting a bit at a time until you had a consistency that would roll into a ball, but not too mushy. Mine was a bit on the mushy side but I put it in the fridge for about 1/2 an hour to stiffen it a bit.
   (Okay don't laugh at my lopsided balls - my family laughed and made comments on what they looked like, but not one of them disliked the taste, remember these are the first batch and only a test)
    Roll all that mushy cake into balls. I made mine smaller than a ping-pong ball. I just kept thinking I wanted them small enough to just pop into my mouth. I used a Tupperware container to line up the balls, then put waxed paper on top and made another row, then I put the cover on and put the whole thing into the freezer. 
Well the cake bites are in the freezer right now and I'm on my way out the door to go to Michael's to get the Almond Bark to make the coating for the bites! I'll make the next post and tell you how they turn out.


xoxo





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment